Quality, style and value for money: these are the three qualities on which Lewis’s has always built its name.
A proud British business, Lewis’s was established in 1856 on Ranelagh Street in Liverpool. Its founder was David Lewis, an entrepreneur who wanted to create a shopping experience that could be enjoyed by everyone. His motto – “a Friend to the People” – underlines that intention, and it still shapes our work today.
For well over 150 years, we’ve offered our customers beautiful kitchen and homeware products, all combining outstanding quality and affordability. In keeping with Mr Lewis’s original vision, we’re committed to fairness and honesty; to providing stylish household essentials at the best possible prices.
It’s a philosophy that has always stayed with us, even while the company itself has changed and grown. We may have started from one, very modest store but, today, we stand as one of Britain’s best and most trusted homeware brands.
The timeline below shows some of the major milestones in our long and eventful journey.
David Lewis opens a small store on Ranelagh Street in Liverpool. Initially, it sells clothes for men and boys.
1860s - 1880s
- The business expands into ladies fashion and then footwear, beginning a gradual process of expansion and diversification.
- Lewis's opens its 'Christmas Fairyland' – one of the world's first Christmas grottoes.
- Additional branches open in Manchester (1877), Birmingham (1884) and Sheffield (1885).
1920s & 1930s
Additional stores open in Glasgow, Leeds, Stoke and Leicester.
The Liverpool building is repeatedly damaged by wartime bombing but is rebuilt each time.
- The Lewis's Group purchases Selfridges.
- The Liverpool flagship store undergoes a major refurbishment.
- Lewis's becomes part of the Sears Group.
- The rights to the Lewis's brand are bought by LHR Holding after the closure of the Liverpool store.
- In 2011, Lewis’s relaunches as a multi-channel homewares brand.
- It grows steadily as ranges are sold online, via mail order, and on the high street. Examples of major retailers include TJ Hughes, eBay and Amazon.
Lewis’s in the Present Day
Today, Lewis’s is a 21st century brand that has embraced all the opportunities of the digital age. However, we stand by all our original, traditional values. We’re still wholly committed to offering innovative household essentials at great prices. By providing the very best in choice and value, we aim to stay a true “Friend to the People.”
Our popular ranges can be bought online, from this and other websites, and via reputable high street outlets across the UK.